27 November, 2007

no. 6: not sure how I feel about this

so I just took this fun little quiz at quirkyalone.net to see if I was 'quirky alone.' Meaning, I assume, am I the kind of person who's rather uniquely single... and my score was (drumroll...):

113. Very quirkyalone:
Relatives may give you quizzical looks, and so may friends, but you know in your heart of hearts that you are following your inner voice. Though you may not be romancing a single person, you are romancing the world. Celebrate your freedom on National Quirkyalone Day, February 14th!

Okay, so, what I don't really get is what this supposedly means - the number - because, surely there are other people like me, then. People who don't necessarily see life as a string of significant others. People who focus on other things rather than their single status. Though it does make me wonder. They say "you'll never find love if you go looking for it" (not sure who they are, but whatever, it's said fairly frequently), and I agree. BUT, if you don't look, how can you guarantee that you haven't passed love by without noticing simply because you've been too busy doing something else?

perhaps I ought to read the book...

Perhaps I need to open my heart a little more and actually give things a try. Though, in the same breath, what can I say? I don't find any of my compatriots to be the kind of people with whom I'd want to form some kind of long-lasting bond outside of friendship. I love my friends, but I am not about to take our friendships any further. And those that I've found attractive, interesting and the kinds of people I'd want to, uh, take further, well they're already with people. And far be it for me to become the 'other woman.' So... though I must broaden my circles, I'm not sure where or how... to meet these people that one happens upon accidentally when one isn't looking for love.

Pirates look for buried treasure, heck, they STEAL treasure... Love? I'm not sure it works like that.

and if it does, I don't think I want to be a part of it. I'd rather be me. Single, solitary me. Because I'm at least half-decent at that. I know what I like, I know how to get me into bed at the end of the night, I know the kinds of movies I'm going to enjoy watching, and I sure as heck try my best to be comfortable with myself... So maybe that's it. Maybe I AM quirkyalone because I'm okay with being alone... though it surprises me that it's such a shocker to people to be like that. Why is it not okay to be that odd one out - the single person in a room of couples. Not that I'm saying I like to be the only one without a partner in a room of partnered people; that actually sucks quite a bit. But there shouldn't be anything wrong with being by oneself. And I AM happy as being single, solitary me (until all my female friends start defining themselves by their relationships and talk only about their significant others, which leaves me with NOTHING TO SAY). I just wish it was a little easier to BE like this. You don't see television shows about single, solitary, happy people all that often. They usually are in search of more, or fall into more, very quickly. Not so much on living their lives the way they want to, on their own.

No comments: